Sable Systems International Promethion metabolic cages provide high resolution measures with industry leading accuracy of respirometry and behaviour.
- 3 Promethion High-Definition Multiplexed Respirometry Systems for mice, each with 8 cages, allow for simultaenous monitoring of 24 mice.
- Each Promethion system is located within an ambient temperature- and light- controlled environmental enclosure DB034-LT Laboratory Incubator, Darwin Chambers Company, St Louis, MO allowing precise temperature control between 4 °C and 34 °C.
- Indirect calorimetry, the in vivo measurement of both oxygen consumption and carbon dioxide production, is assessed per mouse a minimum of 12 times per hour (in 5 minute intervals). With this information we can determine the respiratory exchange ratio and energy expenditure with a high temporal resolution.
- Food intake, water intake, and body mass are assessed continuously using in-cage balances.
- Activity is assessed using a 2D laser matrix with 1 cm spatial resolution. Distance traveled and total movement are calculated from bream breaks.
- Injections, removal of food and other manipulations can be performed during monitoring with minimal interruptions in data collection.
- A running wheel can be installed within each cage to measure voluntary activity.
- Core body temperature and heart rate can be monitored continuously following surgical implantation of the G2 E-Mitter or G2 Heart Rate E-Mitter.
- Fully enclosed bio-exclusive Techniplast ISO-P Cages fitted with HEPA filters allow metabolic monitoring of gnotobiotic, germ-free or immunocompromised animals.
- Cage design does not allow for continuous assessments of food intake, water intake, body mass or voluntary activity (running wheel).